A handful of year-old Dean Shaw's pills inadvertently ended up in a bag containing an iPad that the child was playing with. The youngster discovered the Class A drugs and put a pill in his mouth before spitting it out because "it didn't taste nice.
Dundee Sheriff Court was told the incident could have resulted in "absolutely catastrophic consequences. Her son went to play with the iPad and put one of the yellow, strawberry-shaped tablets into his mouth and then spat it out.
The woman found the pills strewn across the table. Depute fiscal Vicki Bell told the court: "She thought they were sweets and noted there were some left in the shopping bag.
Miss Bell said: "The child was taken to Arbroath minor injuries unit and observed but didn't have any raste of ingesting the tablets. The prosecutor added: "He told police he didn't know how the tablets got in the bag.
Defence solicitor John Hall said: "He profoundly and profusely apologises for this. She said: "These are very serious matters and custody must be at the forefront of the court's mind.